Whenever December draws to a close, the winter blues follows suit. Bluntly put – the winter blues sucks. To successfully fight these winter blues, we need to equip ourselves, with some essential tools.
As the seasons change, we may find ourselves at our wit’s end and fall into a funk. Sometimes we can quickly pull ourselves out of a funk while other times, we might need assistance and reassurance from people we trust. We should always prioritize checking in with ourselves and make an active effort to include a healthy self-care routine, to boost our mood.
It’s not uncommon to feel a sense of dread or impending doom when the winter blues hits. Studies have found that many people have an onset of seasonal depression during winter. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that is related to changes in seasons. Please don’t dismiss that seasonal feeling as just a funk, there are means to fight the winter blues. If you find yourself feeling down, know that you aren’t alone and that it’s okay to reach out to someone, be it a friend, family member, or therapist.
Living in Toronto, I’ve found myself in a bit of a seasonal funk every year and at times struggle to get through to Summer, let alone Spring. Getting out of a funk and achieving wellness isn’t simple, but if you’re willing to try, it does get a tad easier.
Other than finding the right help for yourself, below are some worthy gadgets on Amazon to help boost your mood and assist you in getting out of a slump.
25 Amazon Products To Help You Achieve Wellness And Fight The Winter Blues
These Amazon products below are to aid you in fighting the winter blues but by no means are the end all be all in healing. Healing is a never-ending journey and wherever you are on your journey, I hope that you find it in your heart to be kind to yourself.
The items below are a sort of pick me up, mood booster, tide you over, and pamper yourself list.
This post may contain affiliate links. Meaning, I get a commission if you purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Read the full disclosure here. Disclaimer: The products mentioned in this blog post are not meant to cure seasonal affective disorder, anxiety, depression, or any other mental health-related illnesses.
Let’s skip to it and give your winter wellness routine some love!
- Light Therapy Lamp or Light Therapy Alarm Clock. These two items serve a very similar purpose – to light up your day when the sun doesn’t come out to play. I have a light therapy alarm clock that wakes me up gradually with light and soothing sounds. You can keep your light therapy lamp at your nightstand and carry it with you as you move through your day to give you some sun. Fight the winter blues with a therapy light by your side.
- Wellness Journal. Either a journal to track your daily wellness, self-care, mood, and, feelings or a gratitude journal will do the trick. The reason being grateful is often heavily mentioned is to help change our mindset and set ourselves up for success. If we can remind ourselves of the good things, it helps shift the narrative that we create in our heads that things aren’t going so well.
- Grounding Mat/Sheet. Grounding refers to contact with the earth’s surface to provide reduced anxiety, headache relief, and all-around balance. If you are unable to step outside, be it the weather conditions, access to the outdoors, or feeling uneasy – then you may want to try a grounding mat.
- Aromatherapy Diffuser. The smell of frankincense helps calm my nerves, much like the smell of peppermint oil aids in stress reduction, and what better way to enjoy these smells than with a diffuser. Diffusers are a great way to cater to your sense of smell and find deeper relaxation.
- Essential Oils. Sprinkle some oil in your bathwater, in your tea (only if it’s safe to consume), rub it on yourself (that’s what she said – hehe), or sniff away. However, you choose to use essential oils; like chamomile, sage, and rosemary – it can put you to sleep, help you de-stress, and shift your energy.
- Candles. If Diffusers and essential oils aren’t your thing then I’d definitely make room for some candles in your home, to not only elevate your mood but cater to your sense of smell.
- Handheld Massager. As someone that suffers from chronic neck pain, I use a handheld massager to soothe pain points and relax muscles. The best thing about this massager is that you aren’t confined to using it on only one area of your body.
- Heat Pack. Whether you need a little extra warmth or you want to relax tense muscles, aches, and pains – you can’t go wrong with an electric heat pack. I use this baby, all year long.
- Epsom Salts. The purpose of Epsom salt is to treat mental and physical ailments. These salts can remedy various pains and aches, but you might want to check with your doctor before you start dousing it everywhere.
- Shower Steamers. In my opinion, the lingering smell of the streamers in my bathroom is incredibly relaxing and at times I find myself smiling just getting a whiff of the eucalyptus aroma. Bath bombs aren’t always practical and so the next best thing, especially for a regular shower would be steamers for an aroma-filled therapeutic experience.
- Jade Roller. These badboys encourage blood flow by stimulating your lymphatic drainage. Improving your blood circulation is essential for your overall health.
- Salt Rock Lamp. I keep a salt rock lamp on my nightstand and find it useful in boosting my mood. When turned on the light produces a warm pink-red glow, which proves to be a worth ally, when sleep is of the essence.
- Tibetan Singing Bowl. If you’re looking for a way to stimulate calm brain waves, you’d be hard-pressed to say no to a singing bowl. The Tibetan bowls emit a range of vibrations through the frequency of the bowl which ultimately creates a sense of ease in your mind and body.
- Herbal Teas. I’m convinced tea is my love language. There are plenty of teas that you can choose from which serves varying needs like digestion, sleep, relaxation, comfort…the list is endless. Tea has a lasting impact on your wellness.
- Fitbit. Although this wellness tracking watch can cost you a shiny penny, I find it a beneficial investment. Fitbit watches are useful in tracking many things, such as your sleep, exercise, menstrual cycle, and breathing. The Fitbit can help you not only track but also manage your wellness – so it was a no-brainer for me.
- Yoga Mat. Yoga is a great way to relax, unwind and stretch out those muscles, but do yourself a favor and purchase a thicker mat – even if it costs a little more. I’ve purchased cheap mats time and time again only to find that the grip sucks, the mat piles and wears thin.
- Resistance Bands or Weights. If yoga isn’t your thing, that’s cool, it’s cool. You’re in a no-judgment zone. Grab yourself some tools to partner with at-home workouts. Studies show that exercise is integral to your mental and physical health.
- Adult Coloring Books. Coloring is not just for kids. Not only are coloring books something fun to do, but it’s also an engaging activity for your body and mind.
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) Deck. Grab yourself a deck of these cards created by a clinical psychologist to improve your thoughts, be present and take action in your life.
- Self-Help Books – Unf*ck Your Brain. There are plenty. PLENTY of self-help books to choose from and never-ending learning to be done. Unf*ck Your Brain is one of many books that is worth a read.
- Lava Rock Bracelets. To each their own – it may or may not be for you but I trust the healing associated with lava rock. Lava rock bracelets are used to balance emotions and help you find focus.
- Fruit Infused Bottle. Dehydration has all sorts of effects on your body and brain. A great way to stay hydrated and add some life to plain water is by throwing in some fruits in a water infuser bottle. Stay hydrated!
- Aloe Socks. I love wearing comfy socks, which only gets better when it’s infused with aloe to soothe those feet. Aloe socks are an affordable and wondrous luxury.
- Weighted Blanket. A hug in blanket form. I don’t think weighted blankets are for everyone, but don’t count it out without trying your hand. These blankets can be heavy so be sure to do your research and find a good fit for you to truly reap the benefits.
- Weighted Eye Mask. I love a good eye mask, especially when I can remove the insert to warm up the beads for the added comfort, we all deserve. Give your tired eyes some love with a weighted eye mask.
There are so many ways we can track, manage and adapt a winter wellness routine. Sometimes, we might feel defeated but don’t let the weather dictate our life. Believe that you can and will fight the good fight!
I have been through moments in life (mainly during winter) when I felt there was no way I could get out of my slump and fight the winter blues. I was wrong. There is always a way to get through the hardships if you have the capacity and ability to do so.
Disclaimer: The purpose of my blog is to assist people in making changes in their lives through supportive guidance. This blog’s information is based on my life experience and sources credited in each post. By reading my blog, you acknowledge that I am not a licensed psychologist, medical doctor, or health care professional. My services do not replace the care of psychologists, doctors, or other healthcare professionals.
Tips for Getting Out of a Funk and Achieving Wellness
- Remember to step outside for a breath of fresh air, even when you don’t have errands to run.
- Keep an emergency plan in place for moments you feel down and need help.
- Reach out to your loved ones for a video call, phone call, or in-person hangout.
- Pickup a hobby to keep yourself busy so you aren’t sitting put and binging Netflix True Crime.
- Move your body. Exercise helps your body release endorphins which are chemicals in your brain that release feel-good hormones.
Absolute wellness is tough to achieve, so please don’t feel that you must be at your optimal state of happiness at all times. There is no such thing as being happy all the time and there is absolutely nothing wrong with feeling down now and then. To achieve wellness we need to learn our behavioral patterns and understand what we need to help us get out of a funk. These Amazon products aren’t going to cure your slump, but they will lend you a hand to fight the winter blues!
PIN ME FOR LATER
How do you fight the winter blues or get out of a funk? Let me know in the comments below.