Spring cleaning is meant to be a therapeutic and cleansing experience that often provides a reset for the year. Traditionally, spring cleaning began as a way to clean away the mess of winter and stuck around as we began to welcome longer and brighter days. It’s as if you’re coming out of hibernation.
Spring is a good time to clean your up your life to reset for the year. Since you’re already decluttering your personal space, go a step further and declutter your life. I believe spring cleaning your life, allows you to let go of the old and make room for the new.
- How To Spring Clean Up Your Life
- Frequently Asked Questions
DISCLOSURE: For the sake of transparency, some of the links in our content are affiliate links. This means, I get a commission if you purchase through my links, at no cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
How To Spring Clean Up Your Life
To get started let’s break up your spring cleaning into 4 pillars: Mind, Wardrobe, Home, and Energetic Space. We’ll work through one after the other and find ways that you can make these changes to your life. Don’t forget to download the actionable steps checklist for spring cleaning your life to receive additional support!
Declutter Your Mind
The mind is a fragile entity. To spring clean your mind, we need to make an active effort to make healthy and realistic changes to your life. Often, we’re so busy planning and completing tasks, that we don’t always factor in time for rest. Making changes to your routine, sprucing up your diet, and getting some flexsercise all hold a place in decluttering your mind.
1. Change your routine. I don’t know about you but I’m up into the wee hours of the night thinking about all the things I have to do, such as watering the plants, locking the doors, throwing out the trash…it’s an extensive and endless list ya’ll. Going to bed might be a struggle for some of us because our mind is oversaturated with thoughts of the present, past, and future.
Let’s switch up that routine of yours so that your mind isn’t always working on overdrive. Try some calming music, a warm bath, deep breathing or even taking melatonin. Consider, leaving your phone away from you and reading something before bed to help you shut off your mind and ease into sleep.
If bedtime isn’t a problem for you, yet you find yourself, questioning your life, constantly feeling unsure about yourself, or just can’t seem to focus then try to add or remove something from your schedule. Instead, start your day with meditation or walking in nature.
Take out a notepad and write down the answers to the questions below to help you understand your mind better.
- What activities give you peace?
- How can you practice saying no and setting boundaries?
- What is a non-negotiable boundary?
- What occupies your mind most?
- How can you shift the time spent on things out of your control?
You might not find the answers right away, but don’t give up on spring cleaning your mind. Chip away at the parts of you that want to be heard and work on your inner peace. You’ll eventually find a way to make changes to your routine that helps you free up some space in your mind.
2. Healthy diet. I am by no means supporting diet culture. The trials and tribulations I’ve been through with being kind to my body are a dime a dozen. I struggled with body dysmorphia for a long time and although I have gotten better at loving my body – it doesn’t change that I have down days of feeling blah about the way I look. A healthy diet is about being considerate of the food and drinks you consume. Eating more vegetables, grains, fruits, and proteins in moderation can help eliminate brain fog. Avoid greasy, junk food and find ways to be more mindful of the foods you consume.
Take your health day by day. If you have food cravings, allow yourself a taste instead of completely indulging and then feeling bloated after consuming unhealthy foods. Healthy eating is a long-winded but attainable journey. A journey that I am still on but keeps getting better, day by day.
By being more mindful of what you consume you’re doing your mind and body a huge service. There are plenty of foods that are linked to better brainpower, which nourish and protect your brain. Good food leads to high-quality brain fuel which in turn helps you declutter your mind.
3. Body Movement. Some call it exercise and some call it flexercise. To be honest, not many (if any) call it flexercise, but what I’m putting out is a lazy workout in bed, a daily stretching routine, or simple dance moves to get your body moving. You aren’t going all in Hulk Hogan on exercising, rather we’re giving our body low impact movement to get the blood flowing.
There are studies upon studies on the reason we all need exercise. A big leap to help spring clean up your life is to move your body. If you can’t schedule a regular workout, that’s fine. Turn up your favorite tune (afro-beats – yesss!) and let your body do the talking. I jump around the house and frighten my dog Dobby on the daily with my dance moves. Anything, to take your mind off things and boost your serotonin is a solid win.
By exercising you are sharpening your memory, welcoming better sleep, and stimulating the growth of new brain cells. Exercise = better brain health ergo helping you declutter your mind.
Clean Up Your Wardrobe
I love spring cleaning my wardrobe! I get to sell, donate and throw out the old while welcoming the new. If you have lightly worn clothes or clothes that just never made it on you – think about selling them for a profit. By selling your clothes, you’re giving yourself some cash flow for hot girl season.
Lately, my focus has been on dopamine fashion – I like to dress with the intent to boost my mood. Throw on those bright colors, mix, and match, and don’t be afraid to welcome a style change!
Spring is a great transition time because while you’re removing the old – you start preparing for summer (yesssss, boo). Here’s how to let go of the old and upgrade yourself for the next season.
1. Separate Clothes. Start by dividing your clothes into three piles: “keep”, “almost – but no” and “it’s not me – it’s you”.
2. Finalize maybe pile. Decide what clothes out of your maybe pile will be gone forever and which can weather another season with you. Then, box up your clothes that are for the colder months and hang your clothes that can be salvaged for warmer months.
3. Weed out sellable clothes. Skim through your clothes to look for stains, tears, or abnormalities. Then, clean up what you can for resale and bag the donatable clothes for their final descent.
4. Setup shop. Be sure to check out local stores that purchase clothes to be resold, Facebook marketplace, and websites like Poshmark to make some monies. The best part is that whatever can’t be sold, can still be donated (you stay winning).
5. Make new purchases. This year is your year to open your closet to dopamine dressing. Wear what makes you feel vibrate, lively and joyful!
Spring Clean Your Home
Let’s aim for minimalism that would make Marie Kondo ask us to co-author her next book.
Three ways to spring clean your home:
1. Accept That You Need to Declutter. As my girl Marie Kondo would say, does it bring you joy? But also, how nice does it look in your home, and is it taking up unnecessary space? Ask yourself the hard questions and answer honestly.
2. Start in One Room. Don’t think about the size of your house but rather focus on the highest trafficked-busy parts of our home. Think only about the room you’re in and then work your way around the house room by room. Pace yourself and start with spaces like bookshelves, consoles, and side tables.
3. Don’t Think Twice. Nope. Nada. Once your donation items are bagged or boxed – it doesn’t matter if Beyoncé has something quasi-similar in her home – it has to go. The moment you question yourself, things will start to reappear in decluttered spaces, and guess what that means – it means you’re on the opposite side of spring cleaning your life.
Give yourself time to clean bigger spaces, create a list of spaces you want to declutter, and don’t be afraid to enlist help. Spring cleaning your home doesn’t mean you’re only getting rid of things, you can also store items that are sentimental or seasonal for later use.
Once you’ve cleaned up your home, there are many ways to change your spaces to help elevate your mood. Try shifting a room into an emotional escape room, a crystal room, a home massage room, or a rage room. Rage rooms are all the rage these days (pun-tastic). Sometimes decluttering our home provides, other ways to rearrange spaces.
If you’d rather keep your rooms the way they are, consider shifting your home to reflect a biophilic interior design. The biophilic design concept is meant to increase your connection to the natural environment through the use of nature, both directly and indirectly. Start by adding more plants, green walls, and consider a green space central to your house. The essence of biophilic interior design is to increase your well-being and overall health.
Cleanse Your Energetic Space
I’m all about keeping your energetic spaces clean. To spring clean up your life, you need to match your energy to your wellness. We need to raise our vibration and protect our energy to truly cleanse energetic spaces. Cleansing your energy looks different for everyone.
Let’s do this together. Below, I’ve laid out some ways on how to raise your vibrations and let go of unhealthy energy.
1. Allow Yourself to Let Go. Be it unhealthy dynamics between friends or toxic relationships – if you feel drained and disengaged then they are affecting your energy. It is hard to let go of anyone that you once shared love and affection towards, but it’s exactly what you need to do to allow yourself to welcome the energy that you deserve. You start to see a shift in your energetic space when you allow yourself to release.
2. Find the Right Crystals. I have about 8 different types of crystals in various sizes and forms around my house – each serving it’s own purpose. If you aren’t sure where to start read about the different types of crystals and their purpose. I started with a clear quartz to support the healing of my energetic system.
3. Positive Mantras and Affirmations. Think about how you want to welcome positive energy. Chant mantras and affirmations that vibrate through your body. Believe the words that you are putting out into the universe and pair them with cutting the cords of energy that weighs you down.
Vibrating higher can be achieved with the steps above in union with meditation and a deep breathing practice. Your energy spaces are valuable to your well-being, so be kind to yourself and remember that access to you is sacred. You deserve only the best, don’t settle for any other brand of less.
Here’s to hoping this spring cleaning your life list is what you need to kickstart your year ahead. We should always take time to reflect and release. You’ll feel lighter and breathe a little bit easier – try it.
To spring clean your life, there are multiple facets you need to cleanse, declutter and heal. They can’t all be done at the same time nor can we make them disappear with a flick of a wand and that is completely fine. Start somewhere. Make a daily practice of cleaning your mind, wardrobe, home, and energetic space. You’ll find balance through trial and error. Before you know it, you will spring clean up your life and reset for the year!
PIN ME FOR LATER
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you cleanse your life for spring?
Cleansing your life for spring can be broken into many different pillars. Start by tackling either your mind, wardrobe, home, or energetic spaces. There isn’t a one size fits all approach to cleanse our life for spring but try out different variations until you find one that works for you.
What does spring cleaning symbolize?
I believe spring cleaning symbolizes a refresh or restart to your life. You’re letting go of the old and welcoming the new. It’s like a second chance at a happy new year.
What month is spring cleaning?
Spring cleaning starts on the 1st of March and continues into April. I sometimes continue into May depending on circumstances.
How to raise your vibrations?
There are many ways you can raise your vibrations as mentioned above in cleansing your energetic space, but I’d start with reflecting on letting go of what no longer serves you.
How to declutter your mind?
To declutter your mind, you need to first understand what it is that needs help. To give you a beginner’s understanding, I’d direct you towards the top of the blog about how to declutter your mind as you work through spring cleaning your life.
How do your spring clean your life? What works for you and doesn’t?